Sunday, April 7, 2013

Writing Test Prep for Editing and Revising

Just before Spring Break we got the results of our most recent District Benchmark and although I was proud of how my class scored on their exams, I spent my Spring Break examining the standards that my class struggled with the most.  Across the grade level (and EVERY YEAR) our kiddos have a hard time with the Writing Application and Writing Strategies questions.  These are the questions where they give you a passage and the students are asked to do things like rearrange, add and delete sentences as well as examine verb choice, multiple meaning words, roots, and sentence combining.  I think that the reason why these standards are so difficult for the students to master is because they have to act as the "teacher" and edit a passage that they did not write.  It doesn't matter how many different ways I have taught writing, presented these different standards in collaborative and fun ways... when it comes to these standards presented in a "high stakes testing" format, the students struggle.  That being said.... I have created six different activities to help prepare and review my class for these types of questions that are coming up on their state test in 3 weeks... ((eek!)))

Say hello to my little friend, 

Writing Test Prep for Editing and Revising





 I wrote out various passages ranging from a how to composition to  expository social studies and science ones.   I paired the passage with various Writing Applications and Writing Strategies questions that focus on these skills:

Each passage has 6-10 questions as well as an answer key.  See below for a couple examples:



These can be done in class or assigned as homework. I am going to be doing these in class and then diving into the skills more with additional worksheets and games that review the concepts tested.  I am looking forward to using these over the next couple of weeks because I have searched high and low for worksheets that review these commonly missed standards and have come up empty handed.  Plus, chunking them in this way, on separate worksheets, the students will not get overwhelmed!

I hope that these will help some of you out there too!  I will be emailing the first 5 people who leave a comment stating:
1) Your email
2) How you plan on using these in your class
3) What standard(s) you are reviewing the most for the up and coming state test!

Happy test prep to you all! I can't wait until these tests are OVER!!!!!


I am linking up with other amazing teachers who have fabulous ideas for prepping for that dang test!